Whisk Away to Jamaica for the Holidays
Posted on 10/20/2017
If there’s one thing that immediately comes to mind when you think of Jamaica, it’s having a good time. This is one destination that has become synonymous with celebrations. The people of Jamaica are well-known for their laidback, friendly attitudes that represent the ultimate in worry-free living.
These are people who practically coined the term “island time,” so this is the perfect place to escape, unwind and get away from the stress and hectic pace of your everyday routine.
The holidays are a great time for a Jamaican getaway, as this is a season that’s all about parties and celebrations!
Terrific Options for Everyone
With a variety of amazing hotels and resorts in the region, for sure you'll find the property that you won’t be able to resist. Similar to the real-life incarnation of your vision of the ultimate tropical paradise, resorts offer everything you could want in a dream vacation.
The main tourist areas in Jamaica are Montego Bay, Negril, Ocho Rios, Runaway Bay. Below you will find a brief overview of each region.
Montego Bay is the most popular tourist region and has the largest concentration of resorts in Jamaica. It is also close to the Sangster International Airport. So if you want to start your vacation right away Montego Bay might be your choice.
Pros of Montego Bay
- Close to the airport. Most hotels are 15 minutes away.
- Large Number of Golf Courses if you are a Golf fanatic.
- It is halfway between Negril and Ocho Rios. So you have easy access to most of the attractions island wide.
- You can take day trips to Ocho Rios, Negril and the South Coast quite easily.
- Close to such attractions as Rose Hall Great house, Luminous Lagoon, Rafting at Martha Brae and Ahhh. …Ras Natango Gallery.
- There are a large number of all-inclusive hotels from budget to luxury options.
- There are a large number of restaurants.
- Good nightlife.
- Home of such reggae events as Reggae Sumfest.
Negril is a small town located on the western side of Jamaica. The town is known for its carefree easy going style and its beautiful beaches. The most popular beach is the 7 mile beach. If all you want to do is lounge on the beach for the majority of your vacation this might be the best place to visit in Jamaica.
If you decide to stay at a hotel on the west end you won’t have beach access.
There are not many attractions that are close to Negril. Most attractions will involve a day trip. Negril has quite a lot of bed and breakfast hotels, villas, and non-allinclusive hotels. The nearest airport is the Sangsters International airport. The drive to Negril from the airport is approximately 90 minutes.
Pros of Negril
- Beautiful beach
- Large amount of restaurants and bars, especially along the beach
- Most of the entertainment revolves around the beach
- Numerous beach activities
- Good Dive sites
This sleepy fishing village has morphed into one of the main tourist regions in Jamaica. Commonly referred to as “Ochi” by locals. If you are looking for fun activities for the whole family Ocho Rios is a good bet.
There are a number of tourist attractions in close proximity to each other; a few that come to mind are Dunns River Falls, Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain, Prospect Outback Adventures, The Blue Hole and much more. Fortunately, all of these attractions are in close proximity to each other . There are also two golf courses nearby.
Ocho Rios is around 2 hours from the airport in Montego Bay. Due to the new highway that has been constructed, Ocho Rios is now 1 ½ hours from the airport in Kingston.
Pros of Ocho Rios
- Large number of attractions
- Most attractions are around 15-20 minutes from your hotel
- Large number of all-inclusive hotels
- Great location for a family vacation or family reunion
Discovery Bay and Runaway Bay
Discovery Bay and Runaway Bay are two other resort areas in Jamaica. Both of these resort destinations are close to Ocho Rios. Runaway Bay is around 25 minutes from Ocho Rios. Discovery Bay is around 40 minutes from Ocho Rios.
Pros of Runaway Bay and Discovery Bay
- Large number of attractions in close proximity to each other
- Access to Golf Course (Jewels Runaway Bay)
- Around 1 hour and 30 minutes from the airport
- Good Beaches
A Perfect Escape in Paradise
Whichever property you select, you will get to immerse yourself in the unparalleled beauty and tranquility that makes Jamaica so special. A range of activities are available, and you will have access to nearby attractions, so you can do as much or as little as you wish.
Many guests choose to take advantage of the opportunity to chill out, indulge in some tropical foods and adult drinks and enjoy good times. The staff and locals will guarantee that you stay in a festive spirit, and you will likely encounter a number of celebrations and events that you will be welcome to join.
This is the ultimate way to celebrate the holidays in an unforgettable and unique way. It’s also a great option for those eager to get away from the cold winter weather. No need for snow shovels here! You can, however, try your skills at making a snowman out of sand if you'd like.
PHOTO: A view of the pristine beach in Negril. (photo via Flickr/pshanson)